Friday, August 19, 2011

Dogs and Cats


We have so much stress,  so much really bad stuff happening in the world today.  Our economy is spiraling into a full blown depression, The national debt and government spending is out of control. The housing market is at 70% default, Unemployment is at 19.6% (in my state).  American’s are dying needlessly fighting in conflicts of pure politics. We are at war with Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Libya. The entire Middle East is on fire. Our political leaders are completely clueless as to what to do …

I occasionally suffer from all the informational and worldly stress overload.  Sometimes I just like to turn off the TV, radio and computer and just sit on the porch and feel the summer breeze on my face and forget about the stress and everyday hassles.  Maybe have a glass of Merlot and a small block of cheese. I like to talk about things that do not relate to current political, social issues, or even work related things.  When I’m in one of these dark type moods, I enjoy talking about things that have nothing to do with anything. 

I went shopping the other day at SafeWay for some groceries.  On walking out, I saw a bumper sticker that said,  “the more I know about women, the more I love my dog.”   I laughed out loud.  I may have been a little too robust as the person in the car over stared at me like I had three heads.  It just struck me funny as I thought, why exactly does a guy enjoy the company dog but prefers to live with a woman.

A dog loves to be with you. A dog doesn’t spend any of your money or run up your credit card without your permission.  A dog lives to just sit and listen to your stories about fishing, hunting or whatever.  A dog loves just go for a ride in the country, go to the shooting range,  camping or just hiking in the woods. A dog will drop everything  to go fishing with you, and he won’t catch anything bigger than you do.   He loves to watch the same shows on TV that you like.  The woman that you actually live with… well, no promises on any of that. 

My wife has new cat that she loves. His name is Tod.  I have never understood why women love cats. Cats are independent, they don’t listen, they don’t come when you call, They don’t pay any attention to you, they stay out all night,  and when they stay home they like to be left alone and sleep all day.  In other words, every quality they hate in a man, they love in a cat. Why is this.  Maybe it is true about the theory how opposites attract.  This is why I laughed today and this is one of the many things that I ponder while sitting on my porch with my wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment