Friday, August 12, 2011

Being Narrow Minded


As a Registered Nurse, I am required to be tolerant of everyone's beliefs, cultures, faiths, and customs.  When someone comes into my ER, I never ask questions, I just fix them. I feel that I give high quality health care to everyone regardless of their skin color, age, economic strata, what they do, what they believe in, or how they got this injury in the first place.  All I see is a person in desperate need and I do my absolute very best to help them.  I also happen to be a Christian. I don't think that this alone should bias me, but my liberal friends claim that my faith alone makes me "a narrow minded racist, and intolerant of all others." I'm not offended as most liberals assume this about all Christians.  In my profession, I must work with all cultures, faiths, and beliefs... even  liberals, and I am even tolerant and understanding with them.  I have taken several classes and study regularly in order to better understand other cultures and customs. I have read through the Koran as well as taken a university level class on "Comparative Religion"  and for the life of me, I can't understand the mentality of "honor killing".  This seems to be a common custom unique to the Muslim faith.  I frequently read stories of the horrendous acts of brutality inflicted on women in the name of preserving honor.   I try very hard to be objectionable and to understand their way of thinking and why this is done. However, I find it very difficult.  For example, I read a story last week where a family in Saudi Arabia, had a neighbor over for dinner. While the father was distracted, the neighbor brutally raped the 12 year old daughter. The father hearing the commotion, responded and actually caught the neighbor in the act.  What happened next?  The "guest" went back to his home and the daughter was beaten and killed for "dishonoring the family."  She was thrown out into the street and no one claimed her broken body.  I'm not going to say what I would have done to my neighbor had I been in that fathers shoes, catching a neighbor forcing his way with my daughter.  I do know however, that the story probably would have had a very similar ending... with a dead body laying in the street.  Why do the men of this culture have so little respect for their women?  Why do these men think that life is of so little value?  I may never understand.  As a registered nurse, my entire career had been dedicated to helping people of all walks of life.  These people have no education, except for studies in the Koran, and yet I am the one that is judged as ignorant and intolerant.  My mind is wide open if anyone had a rational, logical reason why these atrocities are committed and why it should be accepted as a common practice.  Otherwise, I may start believing my liberal friends thinking that I could  actually be "narrow minded" incapable of understanding the strangeness of this bizarre culture.  






No comments:

Post a Comment